Avocado Hummus + Whole Wheat Pita Chips
I love avocado and I love hummus. Combining the two sounds like a wonderful snack.
For avocado hummus:
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans (I used cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro, optional
For pita chips:
- 3 whole wheat pita bread pockets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Greek or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, for sprinkling
For avocado hummus…
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. If dip is too thick for your taste, blend in a little more oil or lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Before serving, top with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and cilantro, if desired. Serve with pretzels, crackers or pita chips (recipe below).
For pita chips…
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
Cut each pita bread pocket into 8 triangles. Place triangles on baking sheet.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, Greek seasoning, garlic salt/powder and pepper.
Brush each triangle with oil mixture. Lightly sprinkle with salt (use a little extra if you’re using garlic powder instead of garlic salt).
Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp, careful not to burn.