- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) currants, raisins or chopped nuts
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups (295 grams) chunky or smooth applesauce (lightly sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) vegetable, corn, canola, or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup (105 grams) lightly packed light brown or turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) pure vanilla extract
- for toppings: chopped nuts
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line your loaf pan or you can use a non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl combine the first seven ingredients. Whisk it all together before adding the currants (or any dried fruits and nuts of your choice).
In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Pour the remaining ingredients into the bowl and stir to combine.
Add this mixture to your dry ingredients. Mix the batter using a wooden spoon.
Transfer the batter to your loaf pan and level it using your spatula. Top with chopped nuts.
Bake for 45-55 minutes until honey brown in color and toothpick inserted comes out clean.