Holy basil has many medicinal properties, including promoting the removal of the catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tube. The leaves strengthen the stomach and induce copious perspiration. The seeds of the plant are mucilaginous.
- Fever & Common Cold: The leaves of basil are specific for many fevers, boil tender leaves with tea, to prevent against diseases.
The juice of the leaves can be used to bring down fever, an extract of the leaves in fresh water should be given every 2 to 3 hours.
- Coughs: Chewing tulsi leaves relieves cold and flu, helping to mobilize mucus in bronchitis and asthma
- Sore Throat: Water boiled with basil leaves can be taken as a drink or used as a gargle in case of sore throat.
- Respiratory Disorder: The herb is useful in the treatment of respiratory system disorder. A decoction of the leaves with honey and ginger is an effective remedy for bronchitis, asthma, influenza, cough and cold.
- Kidney Stone: In case of renal stones use the juice of basil leaves and honey, if taken regularly for 6 months it will expel them via the urinary tract thanks to its strengthening effect on the kidney
- Heart Disorder: Basil reduces the level of blood cholesterol, since it has a beneficial effect in cardiac disease and the weaknesses resulting from them.
- Stress: Basil leaves are regarded as an ‘adaptogen’ or anti-stress agent. Chew 12 leaves of basil, twice a day, to prevent stress. It purifies blood and helps prevent several common elements.
- Mouth Infections: Chew a few leaves as an effective cure the ulcer and infections in the mouth.