A fasting method and a diet in which consumption of only fruits and vegetable juices are permitted to obtain nutrition is called Juice Cleansing. This is considered being dangerous by many health professionals, whereas the health benefits of Juice cleansing are not yet proven. This type of fasting may last anywhere between few days to several weeks and the juice consumed during this type of fasting is made from fresh fruits and vegetables.
Reasons for opting Juice cleansing
Desire to lose weight, attempts to stop habitual behavior like smoking or caffeine addiction, religious or detox may be the reasons for Juice cleansing. Sometimes juice cleansing is also done with a belief that it helps to cure chronic pain, depression, cancer, arthritis and severe infections. Some people also believe that they can focus on healing specific organs and systems by juice cleansing.
Methods of Juice Cleansing
In an attempt to purify the blood in synchronization with what some practitioners believe to be annual cycles of nature, they fast bi annually in week long periods.
Enema or herbal or salt water laxative can be used during the time of fasting to efficiently expel waste from the intestines as pure juice contains little to no fiber. Another way to achieve this cause is to mix psyllium husks with the juice as psyllium is not absorbed by the body but greatly increases in volume when consumed with water.
Benefits of doing a Juice cleansing
- More Energy: The energy used for breaking down solids gets freed up as the digestive system gets a break.
- Clearer skin: Your skin might get adversely affected when colon has to deal with too much build up from processed foods.
- Reset your taste buds: Everything would taste differently once you complete a juice cleanse. The sensitivity to flavor is reestablished.
- Lose weight: Even though this should not be the primary aim of juice cleanse, but this should eventually cause some pounds to come off naturally.
- Reestablish your relationship to food: It will be the right time to see what surfaces when we are not able to have our favorite foods as we are not having any solid food during this time. We can get to know if the food was being used by us for emotional satisfaction.
- Improve immune function: Our immune system and digestive system are correlated. A strong immune system is created when we are able to detox our digestive system.
Side effects of Juice cleansing
There are some side effects of Juice cleansing which one should know about before opting for it. Detoxification is most drastic and noticeable for the first two or three days as the body adjusts to the new regime. Minor skin blemishes, having headache and fatigue are common symptoms for detoxification. This would indicate that your body is doing the work and the pleasant results of juice cleanse are to follow soon.
Some frightening facts about Juice Cleansing
- Cleanses can make you fatter: Some health professionals say that the good feeling that we get after cleansing is only for a short period of time and over a medium term to long term these cleanses can actually make you fatter.
- Cleanses may mess up your tummy: Enema based “colon cleanses” can destroy the good bacteria in the gut that help prevent tummy trouble.
- Cleanses can cause serious heart or organ damage: Over hydration causes electrolyte imbalance and this may lead to heart or organ damage.