Barkada Potato Salad
- 12 potatoes
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cup diced celery, divided
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 – 25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Mix dry mustard with 2 teaspoon water in a small bowl and let stand 15 – 20 minutes to develop flavor.
- Place bacon in a large pan and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 15 – 20 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet. Let bacon cool; crumble bacon.
- Cook onion in reserved bacon drippings over medium heat until onion is translucent and soft, about 5 – 10 minutes. Stir mustard paste, sugar, 1/2 cup water, and cider vinegar into onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer vinegar dressing for 3-4 minutes.
- Peel potatoes if desired; slice 6 potatoes into a salad bow and arrange into a layer. Sprinkle potatoes with half the crumbled bacon, celery, and parsley; season with salt and black pepper. Pour a little of the vinegar dressing over the layer. Repeat layer with remaining 6 potatoes, bacon, celery, parsley, salt, and black pepper; pour remaining dressing over the salad. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.